Saturday, November 22, 2008

A Stressful Day

(Check out the pictures, there may be more coming that are not for the faint of heart) It was a stressful day indeed. Lets go in order of the pictures. My wife was heading back to our boss's office to wrap up for the day. But she had to travel down a long windy road with less than good road conditions. She told me that she fought with the car a good bit when she realized that she was losing control. But unfortunately a greasy road, and windy curves landed her over a large embankment tearing up the whole underside of the car on the way down. She said there was a guy behind her who never stopped, and just kept going. She called 911 and within minutes a State Trooper, a firetruck, and the rescue arrived. It was quite the bump because half of the stuff that was in the very back of the car (the VERY back) was up in the seat behind her and up front with her. She had tried to call me but didn't get an answer. She tried three times, and finally decided to call Rodney, the guy I was working with. She said, do you know where my husband is, and handed me the phone. This leads to the second part of the story. As Rodney handed me the phone, I said, "Hello?" "Honey, you're going to kill me!" She exclaimed. "Well you're going to kill me first!" I grunted "I just got my finger caught in a wood splitter, and it's pretty bad." "Oh... well I just wrecked the car and it's in a pretty bad spot, but the troopers just arrived." she said seemingly in agreement with my situation. "I need to go, Rodney is going to take me to the hospital." I handed Rodney the phone never thinking to tell my wife "I Love You!!!" As we drove to the hospital we passed my wife. I did not realize she was on the same road as me, as we went by though, I started blacking out. So I did not really pay much attention. Rodney had rolled my window down and was blasting me with cold air. He called our boss's office assistant Tiffany and told her that he was trying to get me to the hospital before I passed out. Just as she got off the phone with him, my wife called her and told her she just lost control of the car. Tiffany said she would bring Leah to the hospital. We got to the hospital and I was met by a nurse who got me ready for the Doc. The Doc came in and gave me a nerve blocker shot on both side of my thumb. The pain was miserable at this point, so the stick of the shots wasn't that bad. The Doc checked me out (he was a really great guy) and sent me for X-rays. (You should see me trying to type right now... I usually press the space bar with my right thumb...but since that would just about knock me out, I'm trying to teach my left thumb how to do it... and let's face it... he's just being rebellious.) After the X-rays my wife and Tiffany (the office assistant) showed up. They told me about the car getting pulled out over the embankment and how it did as much damage if not more getting pulled out as it did going in. They said it scraped, and both front tires were kicked way out at the bottom, and there was a serious leak of some fluid. She was okay, and a little shaken but said she had no pain (until this morning). To my surprise, they both wanted to see my thumb, which I didn't want to happen so I said, no. My wife said, "I'll be okay" and back and forth we went until I caved. She didn't pass out (she's strong). The Tiffany said, "Can I see?" So we had show and tell in the ER. Tiffany left after being extremely helpful and caring. The Doc came in and told that the bone wasn't broke, and that it was just soft tissue damage. My finger nail was completely torn off, I found it later in my glove. That was amazing, the nail was completely clean, and so was the inside of my clove. No blood, no nothing. I must have gotten my glove off so fast that there wasn't time for blood. The flesh on my finger was spit right up the middle. I received 7 stitches and an anti-biotic and hydrocodone (Vicoden) for the pain. We thank the Good Lord above for us both being safe. We've no idea why it happened both in the same day, within 10 minutes of each other, but it's obvious our gracious and caring heavenly Father was with us both. There is more to tell, but I can't write anymore. We'll share more later.

4 comments:

Aimee said...

Wow, this makes for a VERY bad day. I'm soo sorry that all this happened, but very glad things weren't any worse than they were. So what's happening with your vehicle? I guess that will possibly come in the next post;)

Beka and Bill said...

Yikes! Pretty bad day for both of you! Hope you are both doing ok. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you guys.

Melanie said...

That does sound like a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day. Wow!!

Glad you're both okay though.

skier1998 said...

Glad to hear you are both okay. After that... maybe you guys shouldn't leave your house... or better yet... have you considered a rubber room? ha ha. Take care.