Friday, August 28, 2009

Contentment

I know I know!! It's just been on my mind so much lately! Sometimes I feel guilty because I want things or I get restless because it seems like Jon and I should be getting further in life (a better car, two cars, a house, etc). If I stop and think about it, I KNOW that since I'm still in school and only working part time and things being difficult for everyone everywhere, that we're doing well for our age. We have a nice apartment, a working car, and so many material things. . . And then I feel bad for saying things to Jon about it because I know he works hard to provide and we never really go without! So I've been trying to focus on Phi 4:11 - "Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content." For me it's more like "...for I [am learning] in whatsoever state I am in, therewith to be content." I guess the good news is that I am aware and working at it! Thoughts??

3 comments:

The Taylors said...

We find ourselve often praying for the spirit of contentment and the perspective to really, really be grateful for what we have. Not to have a "devil made me do it" kind of mentality but I think the world we live in lends to that feeling of always needing more, better, bigger, sooner etc. and I don't think we CAN of ourselve change that, but I think God can/does adjust our perspective and can give a deep, true contentment...but I think even that is often a daily step and not a one time..."well thank goodness I will forever be content now" Anyway, that is my soap box for the day :-)

Becky said...

I think one big factor is that there is such a fine line between hopes/dreams and discontentment. I find myself always looking forward to the next event (fun thing, holiday, trip, etc.) and I think it's the hopes and dreams for our future that keep us going sometimes but you have to be careful not to fall into discontentment. I just told Kevin the other day that I feel torn because I always get so anxious for things (for instance a b.day trip to Disney for me in Oct. and Christmas etc.) and in that sense, you want time to go fast but then I look at Kaelyn and I realize I don't want time to go any faster and as much as I look forward to things in the future, I don't want to spend so much time hoping for what the future will bring that I don't get the full blessing and joy out of life today.
(So there are my thoughts on it.) :)

Lynette said...

It really is an awesome thing when you can give your "want list" over to God and watch him fulfill those as you try to use your time and resources in a way that's pleasing to him.